Building & Code
The Building and Code Enforcement staff deals with building and zoning code enforcement, residential and commercial building inspections and permits, and construction issues.
The department issues permits for residential and commercial buildings, as well as accessory structures such as decks, fences and swimming pools. Any time you plan to build something in South Fayette, please check with the township first to see if you need a permit.
Business Occupancy Permits
When a new occupant or tenant moves into a commercial space, the occupant is required to complete Business Occupancy Registration and receive the associated permit. The township will conduct required fire and safety inspections once registration is complete.
Uniform Construction Code
The Uniform Construction Code (UCC) is applied throughout Pennsylvania, including South Fayette Township.
Building Applications & Forms
- Application for Land Operations / Grading Permit (PDF)
- Building Permit Application (PDF)
- Certification of Clean Fill Form
- Commercial Occupancy Permit Form
- Construction Standards and Appurtenances (PDF)
- Demolition Permit Application and Checklist (PDF)
- Zoning Hearing Board Application and Deadlines - 2019 (PDF)
How do I get a permit for a residential deck, fence, shed or pool?
Here are some guidelines to get started with the most common residential accessory structures—decks, porches, fences, sheds and swimming pools. Fees are outlined in the township's Fee Resolution (PDF).
- Fill out a residential Building Permit Application (PDF) and submit it to the South Fayette Township Building Department, along with a check for the permit fee. Applications will not be reviewed until payment is made in full, as follows:
- Deck or Porch: please call for cost
- Fence: $25
- Shed: $40
- Pool or Hot Tub (Above Ground): $54.50*
- Pool (In Ground): $104.50*
- Provide a property survey to show compliance with zoning and setback requirements.
- Supply detailed construction drawings of the plans.
- The South Fayette Township Building Code Official gives each applicant a list of required inspections, which may vary depending on the project details. Inspections will ensure your structure meets minimum safety and code requirements.
State Tax Assessment
*Certain building permits require the township to charge a $4.50 flat Pennsylvania state tax. Details are available from the Building Department.